Pages

Sunday 27 March 2016

First paintings and prints

Otters and Hedgehogs and Squirrels, Oh My!

So, my knitting patterns have been online for a couple of months now, and I've even sold a few!  It's so exciting to know that somebody you've never met, on the other side of the world, will be making something you've designed.  I really hope that they enjoy knitting them as much as I did.

Now that they're up and running, I've had a bit of a confidence boost in that I really feel that I might be able to make something of all this.  I've always dreamed of being able to make a living from my artistic/creative endeavours, but always assumed that it wasn't something that 'real' people could do.  I thought that the time and effort needed would have to go on having a 'real job' where I knew I was getting a salary.  Well, as I said in the last post, shoulder has put paid to a 'proper' job until my next round of operations, so a silver-lining full of time has now dropped straight into my lap.

Currently, 'Of Cats and Wren Designs' is expanding rapidly as I see what works and what doesn't, but I'm loving the freedom of being able to add whatever I'm working on at the moment.  www.ofcatsandwren.com is now in full swing, and I also have my Etsy shop now open www.etsy.com/uk/shop/OfCatsandWren.  The knitting patterns are there, but I'm now concentrating on moving on with my own original artwork.

It's wildlife art that is my first love (as you will have probably noticed over previous posts!).   Here are my first watercolours available to buy...






You can see them in the Etsy shop HERE or in the gallery of my website HERE...

"My animal watercolours are produced by layering washes of paint with fine pencil detail, building up fine veils of colour and texture until they reach the perfect level of ‘furriness’.  The finished effect is a beautiful balance of stylised pattern and charming realism."

If you look at a close up you can see what I mean about the stylised fur...


I liked the idea so much that I kept experimenting with the idea of how far I could take the stylisation/realism.  I've been studying a lot of old medieval woodcuts recently, and wanted to see what I could do in that style.  Unfortunately I don't have access to a printing press, medieval or otherwise (or wood, or wood carving tools, or printers ink - you get the picture).  So, I started to see what I could do with my trusty pen and paper.

These were the results, and I absolutely love them!...

Otter Print

Otter Detail

Hedgehog Print

Hedgehog Detail
Squirrel Print

Squirrel Detail
I like them so much I've had them made into prints - if you want one they're available in the Etsy shop.  I've had them mounted so they're all ready to be mounted in their new home.  You can see more of the originals on the website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment